Roof leaks can be a nightmare! It’s tricky because they often go unnoticed until they’ve caused a lot of damage. The good news is that just by knowing where leaks can happen, you can avoid having roof leaks and the repairs that go along with them.
Here are some common causes of roof leaks and how to avoid them:
- Age of roof: Things wear out as they get older, and a roof is no exception. If your roof is older, keep an eye on it, especially after bad weather, and make any needed repairs quickly.
- Bad construction: Sometimes a roof isn’t constructed as it should, and leaks happen. We suggest having a thorough roof inspection of any home you’re buying to make sure it’s built correctly and making any necessary repairs as soon as possible.
- Overflowing gutters: Gutters that aren’t flowing correctly cause water to back up onto the roof, which leads to leaks. To avoid this, keep gutters cleaned and well-maintained.
- Vents, skylights, etc.: Anything that’s coming out of a roof such as a vent, chimney, or skylight is at risk of leaking if the seals around the structure wear out or aren’t done correctly. Keep up with the maintenance and make sure to repair any aging or failing sealants to avoid roof leaks.
- Missing shingles: A missing shingle here and there may not seem like a big deal, but it really is. Shingles keep water off the structure of a roof, so even if one or two are missing, those holes are leaving the roof open for leaks and water damage. Replace any missing shingles as soon as you notice they’re gone.
If you think you have a roof leak or would like a roof inspection in the Durham area, contact Accurate Renovation at 919-514-1355.