It is time to prepare your home for the coming winter and we want to make sure nothing is forgotten on your “to-do” list. Routine maintenance is required to protect your investment and now is an important time to check some items off.
Protect one of your largest investments by making sure these are done.
- Check the roof: Have the roof inspected for any loose or missing shingles. Snow and ice can cause heavy build-up that could possibly damage the roof if it is not in proper condition.
- Weatherproof doors and windows: Air leaks around windows and doors should be fixed using caulk or weather-stripping. This simple task can help tremendously to save on heating costs. If the problem is severe, you may want to consider replacing the window/door.
- Clean dryer hose: Statistics show that dryer hoses pose huge fire hazards. In fact, the National Fire Protection Association says that U.S. firefighters respond to over 14,000 house fires a year, caused by dryers. So, clean the link filter, empty or replace the dryer hose and check the vent and exhaust on a regular basis.
- Get an annual fireplace inspection and chimney sweep: Speaking of house fires, clogged chimneys are another culprit. Has it inspected before the winter months when it will be used?
- Clean gutters: If you haven’t already, clear gutters of debris in order to allow for proper draining. Once the trees have shed their leaves, it is time to complete this task. Also, direct downspouts away from the foundation of your home. This prevents water build-up which can cause leaks and flooding.
Accurate Renovation is experienced in these areas and can help get your home winter-ready!